Imagine effortlessly starting your Honda with just the push of a button. The Honda remote key fob 72147-TK8-A51 or 72147-TK8-A81 makes this possible.
This smart key, also known as a proxy, intelligent key, or push to start, uses radio frequency to signal your car and ignite its engine. Inside the key fob lies a transponder chip that requires programming for activation.
In this article, you will discover where to obtain a replacement key fob, the programming and coding requirements, the cost of a replacement, and how to get a duplicate key made.
The 72147-TK8-A51 or 72147-TK8-A81: An Overview
The 72147-TK8-A51 or 72147-TK8-A81 is a remote key fob used for Honda models made after 2013. It is also known as a smart key, proxy, intelligent key, or push to start. This advanced key fob utilizes smart key technology, allowing owners to start their engines with the push of a button. The key sends radio frequency signals to the car, signaling it to start.
Inside the key fob, there is a transponder chip that requires programming in order to operate the vehicle. It is important to note that disassembling the key fob is not recommended, as the chip is located inside.
Compatible with the following:
- 2014 – 2017 Honda Odyssey EXL
- 2017 – 2017 Honda Odyssey Touring
Where to Get a Replacement Key Fob
To obtain a new key fob, there are three options available: contacting an automotive locksmith, ordering online and having a locksmith program it, or visiting a dealer. Each option has its own pros and cons.
- Automotive Locksmith:
- Pros: They offer mobile services, saving time and effort by coming to your location and programming the key fob on the spot.
- Cons: Prices may vary and can be higher compared to other options. Some locksmiths may not have the necessary equipment to program certain key fobs.
- Ordering Online:
- Pros: You can find uncut and unprogrammed key fobs at a lower cost compared to dealers. It allows for convenience and flexibility.
- Cons: You will still need to have a locksmith cut and program the key fob, adding to the overall cost. There may also be a risk of purchasing counterfeit key fobs online.
- Visiting a Dealer:
- Pros: Dealers have access to genuine key fobs and the necessary equipment to program them. They can ensure proper functionality and compatibility.
- Cons: Dealers typically charge higher prices compared to other options. Visiting a dealer may also require towing the car to their premises, which can be inconvenient.
Considering the cost of key fob replacement from different sources and the pros and cons of each option, individuals can choose the option that best fits their needs and budget.
Programming and Coding Requirements for the Key Fob
Programming and coding the key fob requires special equipment, so individuals should contact a locksmith or visit a dealer for assistance.
To program a Honda key fob, the locksmith or dealer will use specialized coding/programming equipment. This equipment allows them to sync the key fob with the car’s immobilizer system. The process typically involves entering a series of commands or using a computer program that communicates with the car’s onboard computer.
It is important to note that attempting to program the key fob without the proper equipment can lead to issues and potential damage to the car’s electrical system. Common issues with programming Honda key fobs include incorrect programming instructions, low battery power in the key fob, or a malfunctioning key fob. In these cases, it is best to consult with a professional locksmith or dealer for troubleshooting and assistance.
The Cost of Getting a Replacement Key Fob
Getting a duplicate key made by a locksmith or dealer is the best and cheapest option for individuals who already have a working key and need a duplicate. Here are some factors that can affect the cost of key fob replacement:
- Brand and model of the car: Different car brands and models may have varying costs for key fob replacement due to differences in technology and programming requirements.
- Location: The cost of key fob replacement can vary depending on the location. Prices may be higher in urban areas compared to rural areas.
- Time of day: Some locksmiths may charge higher fees for emergency or after-hours services, so it’s important to consider the timing when getting a replacement key fob.
- Type of service provider: Dealerships may charge more for key fob replacement compared to automotive locksmiths. It’s important to weigh the cost and convenience of each option.
When looking for a reliable locksmith, consider the following tips:
- Research and read reviews: Look for a Honda locksmiths with positive customer reviews and a good reputation for providing quality services.
- Check for certifications and licenses: Ensure that the locksmith is properly trained and licensed to handle key fob replacement.
- Get multiple quotes: Obtain quotes from different locksmiths to compare prices and services offered.
- Ask for recommendations: Seek recommendations from friends, family, or trusted sources who have had positive experiences with locksmiths.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Disassemble the Honda Remote Key Fob to Access the Transponder Chip Myself?
Disassembling the Honda remote key fob to access the transponder chip yourself is not recommended. It requires special equipment and expertise. It’s best to call a locksmith or visit a dealer for transponder chip replacement.
Can I Program the 72147-Tk8-A51 or 72147-Tk8-A81 Key Fob Without Special Coding/Programming Equipment?
Yes, it is possible to program the 72147-TK8-A51 or 72147-TK8-A81 key fob without special coding/programming equipment. DIY key fob programming methods can be found online. Troubleshooting common issues with key fob programming is also available.
How Long Does It Typically Take for a Locksmith or Dealer to Program the Key Fob?
On average, it takes a locksmith or dealer about 30 minutes to an hour to program a key fob. The pros are convenience and expertise, but the cons are higher cost compared to DIY options.
Is It Possible to Purchase a Pre-Programmed Key Fob Online?
Yes, it is possible to purchase a pre-programmed key fob online, which offers convenience and saves time. By ordering online, you can avoid the need to tow your car to a locksmith or dealer for programming.
Are There Any Alternative Methods for Getting a Replacement Key Fob Besides Calling a Locksmith or Visiting a Dealer?
There are alternative methods for remote key fob replacement besides calling a locksmith or visiting a dealer. These include ordering a key online and having a locksmith cut and program it for you.