BEFORE YOU CALL A LOCKSMITH, HERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER:
- 1) Provide them with your VIN number. This way, they will know the type of key you have and therefore, they can give you a better quote. Don’t have the VIN? Mention the year make and model, e.g. 2019 Jeep Ram
- 2) Ask about their location and provide them with yours. Many locksmiths offer mobile service, so chances are they will be travelling around. To avoid a long waiting period, ask for an ETA.
- 3) Shop around, don’t be lazy. True, many locksmiths can make you a replacement key, but prices vary. Don’t settle with only one quote. Call around for the best price!
- 4) Ask about forms of payment and make sure you will get an invoice. You may be able to get some money back from your insurance company.
- 5) Make sure you have the necessary documents to show ownership. Otherwise, a locksmith won’t make you a key. Driver’s license, registration, insurance card etc.
- 6) Provide the locksmith with any additional information such as if the ignition or door cylinder have been changed before, or if you have had problems starting the car, or others.
So, what’s the bottom line when it comes to calling an automotive locksmith?
For most people, choosing an automotive locksmith to get a replacement key is overall, the best option. It may not be the cheapest, but it is definitely the fastest, and better than the alternatives, especially when you need to get a key fast. However, it is important to ask the right questions, as we have explained. Do your research, and make your own decision.
Replacing your Jeep key At The Dealership
- 1) Fast – Odds are that the dealer will be able to cut and code a new key for you fast, as they should have the personnel and tools to do that.
- 2) Availability of keys – The dealer should have your key, regardless of how old or how new your car is. Unlike locksmiths, they should only keep one make’s keys in Stock.
- 1) If you have a key fob or transponder key, you will have to tow the car there, which will result in an additional cost.
- 2) Dealerships don’t work outside business hours. Therefore, if you need a replacement key ASAP, that may be a problem.
- 3) As always, ask for a quote and call more than one dealership. You should be able to get this service at any location.
Do I need to contact a Jeep dealership to get a Jeep car key replacement?
You can. However, You will end up paying more than what an automotive Jeep key replacement would charge for the same service!
Moreover, a lot of people forget that you will still need to get your car to a Jeep dealer to program the new key cut to the car. So, you will pay more for the key itself + you will pay the towing fees.
What is the difference between getting my key replaced by a locksmith and Jeep dealership?
You can do it. However, you’ll spend more than a car key replacement for the identical service from a Jeep dealership!
If you don’t have a Jeep dealer nearby, you’ll need to bring your car in to have the new key cut and programmed to the vehicle. So, in addition to the cost of the key, you’ll also have to pay for the towing.